The Faculty of Fisheries and Marine Sciences of Airlangga University (FPK Unair) has conducted an internal audit activity on October 6, 2023 in the multipurpose room on the 8th floor. This activity was opened directly by the FPK leader, Prof. Moch. Amin Alamsjah, Ir., M.Si., P.h.D., along with the vice deans and the faculty quality assurance unit.
Internal audit is an assessment process carried out by an independent and competent audit team to ensure that an institution or faculty meets the quality standards set, runs its operations efficiently, and complies with the applicable regulations. Internal audit also aims to provide advice and recommendations for improvement for the institution or faculty being audited.
The internal audit process carried out by the audit team at FPK includes planning, information gathering, evaluation, findings and recommendations, follow-up, and monitoring. The audit team evaluated various aspects at FPK, such as vision, mission, objectives, strategies, policies, procedures, resources, information systems, internal control, risk management, and performance.
The results of the internal audit that have been carried out at FPK show that FPK is almost good in implementing the standard procedures set. FPK also received praise from the audit team for its achievements and innovations in the field of fisheries and marine sciences. However, the audit team also found some deficiencies and weaknesses at FPK, such as lack of coordination between work units, lack of documentation and reporting, and lack of socialization and training for lecturers, staff, and students.
Based on the results of the internal audit, the audit team gave some improvement recommendations for FPK, among others:
- Improving coordination and communication between work units at FPK, both vertically and horizontally, so that they can run more effectively and efficiently.
- Improving the quality and quantity of documentation and reporting that comply with the standards and regulations in force, and utilizing the existing information technology to facilitate the process.
- Improving socialization and training for lecturers, staff, and students about the vision, mission, objectives, strategies, policies, procedures, and quality standards that must be adhered to by FPK, as well as providing adequate facilities and incentives to support them.
- Improving internal control and risk management at FPK, by identifying, analyzing, evaluating, managing, and monitoring risks that may interfere with the achievement of FPK’s objectives, and setting appropriate contingency and mitigation plans.
- Improving FPK’s performance, by setting clear, realistic, and measurable indicators and targets, and conducting regular and systematic evaluation and supervision.
The FPK leader, Prof. Moch. Amin Alamsjah, welcomed the results and recommendations of the internal audit. He thanked the audit team for their hard work and professionalism, and promised to immediately follow up and monitor the recommendations. He also hoped that the internal audit could be a motivation for FPK to continue to improve and enhance its quality.